Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summertime sewing

In the desert the summertime is our indoor time. 110 degrees is NOT your friend, unless you have a sweet pool. We don't. Therefore, we create.

I decided to take on knit fabric and shirring. The verdict is. . . . I LOVE IT! Hello, what have I been waiting for? Get yourself a ballpoint needle for your machine and some shirring elastic and go to town! This cute little knit paisley fabric was on sale at Joanne. 1 yard made this oh-so-sweet little 3 tiered sundress for my little one. I already had the brown one from old navy, and it is one of my favorites, so I decided to re-create it in knit. It's so soft and flouncy!





This next one is re purposed from a baby doll top that I bought at Goodwill. I love that yellow fabric.


Step 1: unpick the seams at the straps to move the straps closer together.

Step 2: Move the straps in. Measure to make sure they are spaced evenly and pin in place. Then sew the straps to the shirt following the seam that was already there.


Step 3: I pinned the top of my shirt with a couple of pleats in it, so that it would match up with the width of the fabric in the back of the shirt.


Step 4: Cut off the sides of the shirt to fit the little person who will be wearing it. I cut mine just outside of the pin.



You should be able to do this with any similar cotton baby doll top. Mine was a small top and I re-fit it to a size 24 month dress. Just sew up the sides to finish it!


5 comments:

Maggie @ SweetwaterBaby said...

Hi Kayleen...thanks for your sweet comment on my blog (sweetwaterbaby)! You're right...there is an over-abundance of kokopelli-style stuff here in the desert. I'm so glad I found your blog...you are very creative! I have a little girl too, and can't wait to try the ruffled/shirred dress. Best to you...

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Such a sweet blog!
Loved my first visit here!
Precious little dresses!!!
I'm inspired ...
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Stop over too!

Creations By Cindy said...

What an inspirational post! Love this! Be blessed. Cindy

meg + andy said...

wow! super cute- i have two 2yr.olds who are always needing something fun to wear. glad i found your blog!
meagan

Recaptured Charm said...

This little chickie-poo is one lucky little lady! She has to be the envy of all the neighborhood tots! lol
So cute.