Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's a party


I'm joining Me & My House for a junk party! Here goes!

This specific junk has been hanging around for about 4 years. An old door that I picked up at a little antique store in Bartlett, TN, when I used to live there. It was painted a hideous yellow and turquoise blue and I couldn't wait to transform it into the headboard of my dreams. I saw the idea in a magazine a few years prior, and couldn't get it out of my head. I think I paid 20.00 for the door, and with the paint, sealant and side wood, possibly 45.00. Not too shabby for a headboard.


I wish I had a before and after photo, but I wasn't too camera savvy back then. . . plus, we were poor college students and a camera seemed such a luxury.

To this day, I love it, but it may undergo another paint treatment when the weather cools off here. Something to look forward to.


We had just moved into the house here when I took this picture. We hadn't put on the bedskirt, but boy, the room was sure clean.

I love the chippy paint that has cracked and peeled from several moves.




15 comments:

dana said...

Kayleen, thanks for your comment on MADE. and I'm honored to be the first on your list of "inspiration"!
Your photography is beautiful. Talented lady. And like you, I love an awesome thrift store find. I have a cool table/chairs I'm working on now...but it will take a while till we're done:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1eI7tS4s_Bg/ShogAGIXlSI/AAAAAAAALiI/KxGJd4l12nU/s1600-h/a25.jpg
Thanks for stopping by. I'm adding your blog to my google reader. And I love your chair blog header pic btw. Very classy.

★Carol★ said...

I love when doors are made into headboards, and yours looks fabulous!

Restoration House Interiors said...

Kayleen, this is so awesome! I love it! What was your process? Did you strip it all the way down or just sand a bit and then paint? I am always torn about how to handle old painted things that are in need of a makeover...thanks for linking up for the party too! You are so awesome and I LOVE your blog! (Did I already say that before...hee, hee!) See you soon!

Tricia said...

Love, love, love it!
*Tricia

Roeshel said...

I've never seen a door made into a headboard. It's beautiful! Great job - I love it!

Marie said...

Hello Kayleen - I'm new to your blog! I love that headboard - so fabulous.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Beca said...

I love it! I love doors and I love what you did with this one. It looks great!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

That's a wonderful idea! You did a fabulous job, thanks for sharing!
Traci

Restoration House Interiors said...

See what happens when you come and visit Me & My House? LOL! You never know what's going to happen or how you'll be blessed! Tee, hee! Can't wait to get your surprise out to you...give me until at least Wednesday to get it in the mail to you. Congrats again!

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

This is the first time that I that I've visited your blog and I love it! LOVE the headboard, too! I'll be back for more. :)

BTW, I saw that you live in Mesa, AZ....so do I! Small world! :) Come by and visit me at: http://littlebitvintage.blogspot.com/

Lorie said...

I love it! That is my dream headboard! I have been looking for a door like that FOREVER!!

Tommie said...

That is awesome!!!! I love it!!

Kristal said...

Just wanted to stop by and say "Congratulations" on being the winner of the Junk Party!! Sorry I couldn't get here the day of the party, but with kids, I'm sure you know how that goes :0) I love your transformation of the door into a headboard. It's definitely One-of-A-Kind!! You are more than welcome to stop by and say "Hi" at my blog. Take care!

Restoration House Interiors said...

Kayleen, you've got an award over on my blog...go get it, girl! Have a great Thursday!

junkermidge said...

Oh, I love the headboard! You did a beautiful job!
Midge